Monday, September 7, 2009

Applying to Pharmacy School

Admission to pharmacy school is very competitive. Just to put it into perspective there were over 95,700 applications for 102 pharmacy schools in 2007 according to PharmCas.org. The application to acceptance ratio for my school was 16:1 for the year I got accepted. That means achieving the minimum pre-pharmacy courses and GPA will not get you into pharmacy school. Each pharmacy school has its own admissions process. Though most schools do not explicitly require undergraduate degree, it is very hard to get into without undergraduate degree. Generally, pharmacy schools are looking for students who are able to handle a rigorous course load and who have been able to keep their GPA competitive. So my suggestion is to keep your GPA high and apply early in the cycle! If you are planning to apply to pharmacy school, please email me your questions. And I will look into your case and give you honest and realistic suggestions. Thanks

3 comments:

  1. How many credit hours per semester should I take for my pre pharmacy courses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both course load per semester and GPA are important factors. If you can take up to 18 credits or even more per semester and can keep your GPA in the competitive range, it might strengthen your application. A candidate with high GPA might be seen as not strong enough by the Admissions if the candidate’s transcript shows a consistent low course load per semester. I would highly recommend you to work on towards bachelor in some field while doing your pre-pharmacy courses, my class is 120 students and there are only about 2 students without at least bachelor prior to pharmacy school. Good Luck. Please don’t hesitate to ask me if you have further questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which school do you attend for your Pharm D. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete